Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northeast
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 490001
questions for the CT folks..

I have a couple of curious questions for the folks that live or have lived in CT, where i currently reside.

First off; i drive a 2005 chevy silverado, SAS, decent amount of lift- 14") and running 35's (at the moment) (roughly sits at about 8ft tall, 9ft if you include the CB antennas)-----**insert dumb BGTL comment here**

secondly, i have no issues with law enforcement here, we actually get along, and i get thumbs up driving around, also i do NOT drive like a punk reject.

thirdly, I do not have to go through a Safety inspection (just emissions-for now) and i pass that with flying colors- cats and all)

my questions are:

1) I am thinking about a bigger tire (38"+). However, i have mixed response on what is going to get me pulled over and what will be fine. Can someone clarify this for me?

2) Id like to do some wheeling, but have no idea where to go- if theres anywhere at all. Id like to stay within a half hour of Enfield/Suffield Ct.. any thoughts?

3) Im also not familiar with the offroad crowd here and would like to meet people/ groups etc to start being part of the offroad community here. i know there are a few places such as NE4WD etc. but some of these places are 1+ hours away at the minimum (im not driving to haverhill, Ma)

any input would be great

p.s- i am also looking for people whop like to wrench/ help wrench/ or needs help wrenching around my area

thanks

Last edited by RIPPEDK20; 01-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.
RIPPEDK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 177602
Not alot of fullsize friendly stuff I am aware of in CT or Mass for that matter...I am a Mass transplant, but haven't heard about any issues down here with tires or height. Drive my Cj and M715 with 38's on them with no issues...I know there are some trails around Soapstone in Ellington powerlines and a fullsize club will be your friends...
Spotter Team #734 Shameless Racing...Thanx to the sponsors: Extreme Axle, High Angle, Raceline, PSC
1951M38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 490001
ellington is not too far from me.

I just didnt know the limit, or if theres a limit for height. i dont want to buy 40's and then put them on , to only get pulled over and get a ticket and take them off.

eventually this truck is going be a daily and hardcore wheeler. i dont know why im worried, there are some junks running around here..

but i was in front of a LEO today ( i didnt get pulled over or anything, and didnt have an issue), however i could tell that, since he backed off some. So i figured i was throwing crap up from my tires ( the do stick out and i have quite a bit of lift).. but i do see trucks taller then me that dont have any issues either ( that i know of)

but i know there are "rules" but no laws. and im not sure how they apply to the teirs of inspections here ( some require safety and emissions, some get neither, and some only get emissions)

so, its a bit confusing

Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 177602
I don't believe there are any safety inspections in CT anymore....That being said, there might be some rules on the CTDMV website? I thought there was something on headlight height in particular, but I haven't paid attention as my truck clears 38's with no lift and the Cj sees minimal road duty......Me and a buddy or two do some shop nights down here in Bloomfield if you are interested PM me your
3 and I can call or txt....usually Tuesdays and Wednesdays...
Spotter Team #734 Shameless Racing...Thanx to the sponsors: Extreme Axle, High Angle, Raceline, PSC
1951M38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
STHM

Member # 196079
lift laws has some info and notes statutes

Connecticut Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules
Chief Rocka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 490001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rocka View Post
These really don't apply since there are trucks running tall lifts, well above 4". I've seen some ifs lifts that make my truck look small.

I know 10 years and newer gets a safety inspection. This may apply to them.only..
Old 01-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 673218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPEDK20 View Post
These really don't apply since there are trucks running tall lifts, well above 4". I've seen some ifs lifts that make my truck look small.

I know 10 years and newer gets a safety inspection. This may apply to them.only..
Regardless if you don't get tickets for your lift the law still applies to you. You may drive to a different part of Connecticut and get a ticket because you don't know the cops there. Just keep that in mind.

As state prior there aren't man full size friendly areas out here. You'd be much better off purchasing a cheap YJ, putting 1 tons under it and big tires. That way you wouldn't destroy your DD on the narrow trails. Yota's are cool too but people want way to much for them.
Mighty Mats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 490001
i dont really "know" the police here. the liftaw.com page is incorrect on alot of things, as i have found out in the past.

i dont disagree with you that a different part of the state, could get different results, but thats all states.

are they "Laws"? or are they rules/ guidelines? quite a bit different.. ive talked to some CT residence (shops etc.) saying their "rules" and not laws but other places such as websites, say their laws, but i cant find either way about it.

im just trying to find out correct answers without making a stink about it to places like the police station and causing unnecessary problems (ask the right question, get the wrong result type of thing)
Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 673218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPEDK20 View Post
i dont really "know" the police here. the liftaw.com page is incorrect on alot of things, as i have found out in the past.

i dont disagree with you that a different part of the state, could get different results, but thats all states.

are they "Laws"? or are they rules/ guidelines? quite a bit different.. ive talked to some CT residence (shops etc.) saying their "rules" and not laws but other places such as websites, say their laws, but i cant find either way about it.

im just trying to find out correct answers without making a stink about it to places like the police station and causing unnecessary problems (ask the right question, get the wrong result type of thing)
I'm not from CT so I don't know the laws. Here in Mass they are sticklers about big trucks with 37's and a 14" lift but i know people who get away with it. They also just implemented the whole camera thing for inspections so now shops can be held accountable for passing guys with illegal lifts and tires. I know out west when i lived in California some cops would stop you and some wouldnt care. Especially depending on the area you are in.

What im trying to say is that you can get away with the lift and tires but do you want to chance it? If you look up what the law says

"(Connecticut Statutes Chapter 246, Title 14; Connecticut DMV Regulations)
Summary: 4-inch lift limit, no softer- or lighter-than-OE springs, no aftermarket shocks that reach their extended stroke limit."

If i were you and were to get hassled by a cop i'd expect it. Hope that helps. I'm not condoning braking that law but if i do something wrong and get in trouble for it regardless of what it is I always expect to be punished in some form.

Last edited by Mighty Mats; 01-14-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Mighty Mats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 490001
i understand what your saying. I had my truck in mass for many years getting a sticker on it. (cause i did the sticker myself).

but there are no stickers here. or safety inspections. i think i would keep them on different rims just to be safe so its not a huge issue with swapping them out.

we also dont have mudflap or fender flare laws.. while i like CTs system better, getting actual straight answers is not that easy apparently lol

obviously i could be ticketed just for my suspension change.. via leafs and solid axle, since its not original equipment style.

i guess i should feel lucky to not have mass commies breathing down my neck lol
Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
build some flares and mud flaps that are removable, lower it down from BGTL and run it.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 490001
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
build some flares and mud flaps that are removable, lower it down from BGTL and run it.
I have mudflaps, no flares needed, not a law here to have them, nor mudflaps.. but hey if your wallets fat enough to pay for the driveshafts, steering, brakes and suspension to lower it down for me, I'm open to it..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.