Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 782377
Ecoboost swap in an Fj40

I知 sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I知 curious to hear what you guys might think about an engine swap I had in mind for my fj40. I知 thinking about going from my massive gas guzzling in-line 6 to a 3.6L ecoboost bolted up to the H42 transmission that the FJ came with, since it has already been rebuilt.
Thatguywiththetruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 811482
Send a message via AIM to TravisMcKerrow Send a message via MSN to TravisMcKerrow Send a message via Yahoo to TravisMcKerrow
Ecoboost swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywiththetruck View Post
I知 sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I知 curious to hear what you guys might think about an engine swap I had in mind for my fj40. I知 thinking about going from my massive gas guzzling in-line 6 to a 3.6L ecoboost bolted up to the H42 transmission that the FJ came with, since it has already been rebuilt.
Ive posted in the ford and suzuki forums about an ecoboost swap. I was thinking 2015+ mustang I4 turbo.though. ill be watching this thread. Thanks!
TravisMcKerrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 142223
Pros:
Reasonable Weight
Great Power
Very Efficient

Cons:
Cost
Packaging twin turbos in the FJ engine bay
Wiring nightmare
Cost again

Not saying it wouldn't be sweet but are your pockets that deep?
Syrings72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 811482
Send a message via AIM to TravisMcKerrow Send a message via MSN to TravisMcKerrow Send a message via Yahoo to TravisMcKerrow
Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrings72 View Post
Pros:
Reasonable Weight
Great Power
Very Efficient

Cons:
Cost
Packaging twin turbos in the FJ engine bay
Wiring nightmare
Cost again

Not saying it wouldn't be sweet but are your pockets that deep?
Supposedly Ford Racing makes a stand-alone ECU and wiring for it. The 2.3 in the Mustang is just a stroked version of the 2.0 used in the Focus ST, and that motor is used extensively in racing. If there isnt one for the 2.3 specifically available, id think a guy could still make one work from the 2.0.

Im not sure about the 3.6, is that out of the Taurus? If so then it can be made to be a fire breather and push 600+hp. I imagine hotrod guys have already worked out a harness for it. Have you thought about the 3 or 4L V6s?

Can't deny the cost or the pain of making it fit though lol...

Last edited by TravisMcKerrow; 01-11-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 782377
My main problem is finding adapter plates to mate the engine to the transmission. Cost is not an issue as I知 not buying a brand new ecoboost engine I have found a bunch sub 5k
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 782377
3.6 is from the f-150, hauls well, usually we get pretty good mileage when hauling the sleds to the mountains
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 811482
Advance adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywiththetruck View Post
My main problem is finding adapter plates to mate the engine to the transmission. Cost is not an issue as I知 not buying a brand new ecoboost engine I have found a bunch sub 5k
If thats the only issue, Id call Advance Adapters. If they dont make it, they can and will for a price.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 811482
Advanced

http://www.advanceadapters.com/recom...80&model_id=31

Could be old information, but it doesnt seem that Advanced makes that adapter yet. Im pretty sure theres a few guys here who can make you one though...i THINK posford79 (or something like that) makes adapters. I could be wrong. We dont get along well, so thats just what Ive gathered from his posts. Seems to know his shit even if i do find him to be abbrasive. Thats just me though, you may find him to be absolutely pleasant. Either way though, im positive you can find someone who makes or can make you one. Try cross posting with the Ford guys.

Last edited by TravisMcKerrow; 01-11-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I was being rude!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 782377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisMcKerrow View Post

If thats the only issue, Id call Advance Adapters. If they dont make it, they can and will for a price.
I will then, I was on their website and just didn稚 have time to look through all the pages, I know they make adapters for the H42 but I don稚 know if they make em for an ecoboost. I also didn稚 know that they will custom make adapters. Thanks.

Last edited by Thatguywiththetruck; 01-11-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
http://www.advanceadapters.com/recom...80&model_id=31

Could be old information, but it doesnt seem that Advanced makes that adapter yet. Im pretty sure theres a few guys here who can make you one though...i THINK posford79 (or something like that) makes adapters. I could be wrong. We dont get along well, so thats just what Ive gathered from his posts. Seems to know his shit even if i do find him to be abbrasive. Thats just me though, you may find him to be absolutely pleasant. Either way though, im positive you can find someone who makes or can make you one. Try cross posting with the Ford guys.
Suck it up buttercup! You've gotten pretty friendly treatment here for a noob

I don't make adapters, although I could. The engineering time to draw it all out would be astronomical for me to do a one-off adapter. Plus not having the mating engine and trans here, I'd have no way to test fit and adjust things as needed. Not knowing a thing about the trans in question don't know if its even feasible to adapt it.

I didn't know AA would do custom, I can imagine it would be ridiculous money as well.

Find a already manufactured adapter from a reputable company for a 4 cyl engine, and boost that. Most likely be cheaper, but probably still not cheap.

Look at that, I'm absolutely pleasant right?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 811482
Noob, or newb???

Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
Suck it up buttercup! You've gotten pretty friendly treatment here for a noob

I don't make adapters, although I could. The engineering time to draw it all out would be astronomical for me to do a one-off adapter. Plus not having the mating engine and trans here, I'd have no way to test fit and adjust things as needed. Not knowing a thing about the trans in question don't know if its even feasible to adapt it.

I didn't know AA would do custom, I can imagine it would be ridiculous money as well.

Find a already manufactured adapter from a reputable company for a 4 cyl engine, and boost that. Most likely be cheaper, but probably still not cheap.

Look at that, I'm absolutely pleasant right?
I am a noob, in the sense that my post count isnt very high, and im ok with that. Ive rebuilt carbs, changed clutches, installed lifts, etc. So, I know a few things Id suppose. Stated a hundred times before that im not a "mechanic", so I wont try and diagnose an engine issue, but i will replace my own broken stuff. And, im not a fabricator either. But, i will help and learn on my rig every step of the way. So, sure im a noob (or is it newb, i never know!), but im at least 50% ahead of most TRUE noobs.

And see, even though I found you to be abbrasive, I still respect you enough to suggest someone search for you for advice. Also, AA got started by making custom adapters remember? Customs first, and then the demand for the ones they made grew, so they just started making adapters for anything they could imagine, and customer requests, and saving the templates for future orders. With how many 3.6 F150s are in the world, surely the aftermarket wont be far behind Id think. But, if AA cant or wont then try these guys Canfield Industries Fort Collins, Colorado Welding, Machining, and Performance Auto Parts Canfield Industries
Anything new and custom isnt cheap though, i must agree there lol. Id also agree and say think about a Yota motor that already has adapters available. That or switch the tranny when you switch the motor. Just choosing a dif engine would be cheapest and easiest. But, i totally understand the draw for a unique set up and if cash isnt an issue then fawk it, make it happen!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
I am a noob, in the sense that my post count isnt very high, and im ok with that. Ive rebuilt carbs, changed clutches, installed lifts, etc. So, I know a few things Id suppose. Stated a hundred times before that im not a "mechanic", so I wont try and diagnose an engine issue, but i will replace my own broken stuff. And, im not a fabricator either. But, i will help and learn on my rig every step of the way. So, sure im a noob (or is it newb, i never know!), but im at least 50% ahead of most TRUE noobs.
This is a hardcore tech forum, my first 5 years here was lurking, watching what other built, how they did it, and why.

You are the level of most new people here, no offense to you or any new people. With the skills you just rattled off, what makes you think that you're anywhere near ready to attempt to swap a motor that doesn't have several well documented threads about? Nobody can tell you, or thatguywiththeFJ40 what will and will not work for an ecoboost swap, its hasn't been done much yet, and theres so many differences between each swap that you cannot define a step by step that works for everybody.

At the time when I put the 351w in my Ranger I had several years of home fabbing bumpers and other structural stuff, and had solid axle swapped the front with factory Ford parts. Not terribly difficult, but not a neat bolt in kit either. The motor swap tested the limits of my patience many times, bad enough it would sit for months until I worked up the desire to hammer out the details.

You've heard the phrase the devils in the details? Fabbing motor mounts and adapting a transmission is easy. Getting a fuel system to cooperate can suck Getting a radiator fit and cooling properly can suck. Finding drivability problems, diagnosing them, and finding solutions sucks. Expecting to be x amount into a project, and being 3 times over that sucks. These are the things nobody thinks about.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing a motor swap, I'm just trying to be realistic with what it takes to do one, and have results that you're happy with. Years later my Ranger has many kinks worked out, but theres no way in hell I'm taking it on a 500 mile roadtrip without expecting A LOT of BS.

Motor swap rant over

Oh Travis, you know you don't need to put a title in every reply. I know I never see them.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 782377
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post

This is a hardcore tech forum, my first 5 years here was lurking, watching what other built, how they did it, and why.

You are the level of most new people here, no offense to you or any new people. With the skills you just rattled off, what makes you think that you're anywhere near ready to attempt to swap a motor that doesn't have several well documented threads about? Nobody can tell you, or thatguywiththeFJ40 what will and will not work for an ecoboost swap, its hasn't been done much yet, and theres so many differences between each swap that you cannot define a step by step that works for everybody.

At the time when I put the 351w in my Ranger I had several years of home fabbing bumpers and other structural stuff, and had solid axle swapped the front with factory Ford parts. Not terribly difficult, but not a neat bolt in kit either. The motor swap tested the limits of my patience many times, bad enough it would sit for months until I worked up the desire to hammer out the details.

You've heard the phrase the devils in the details? Fabbing motor mounts and adapting a transmission is easy. Getting a fuel system to cooperate can suck Getting a radiator fit and cooling properly can suck. Finding drivability problems, diagnosing them, and finding solutions sucks. Expecting to be x amount into a project, and being 3 times over that sucks. These are the things nobody thinks about.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing a motor swap, I'm just trying to be realistic with what it takes to do one, and have results that you're happy with. Years later my Ranger has many kinks worked out, but theres no way in hell I'm taking it on a 500 mile roadtrip without expecting A LOT of BS.

Motor swap rant over

Oh Travis, you know you don't need to put a title in every reply. I know I never see them.
I won稚 be doing this alone and I think people will find it interesting enough to want give the thread I post for the build a read, I致e been doing this stuff for a long time just never something this different so I made an account so I could ask the forums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.