Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
The Blueballs continue............

Hi guys, I have always been a Toyota guy and have a couple of builds in the Toy section. I always like Samurai's and so I bought one after selling my 4runner.

I started looking for one and found an SJ410 for a good price, it had an okay body and the thing was relatively untouched. Then Blueballs came up for sale, so I made the deal and shipped it out here to Hawaii. I'm sure a lot of you remember it.

Once I got it I took it out to one of our local places to wheel and blessed it properly.

Then I started mounting my CB, but it was too close to the heater to plug in the power cord so I scrapped that idea for now.

I also had to fix an issue with the new six shooter steering arms hitting the airshocks. The arm bent the lower mount.

Where I normally wheel, lets call it the W, there are a lot of trees and hills, so I added a little tubing to the rear to save the cab if I slide backwards into a tree. Glad I did it because the next day I did kiss it on a tree.

I blessed it again on this trip, clipped a tree with a tire and it threw me on my side. My girlfriend was amused.

Quote:
I don't care what you want to smoke, who you want to poke. I don't care what you want to shoot or how many bullets you can have.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up thier shit.
89lc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
I was having some problems with fuel delivery since the fuel pump was mounted in front of the tank and high. I was dying on hills and it would take a while to start, so I moved the pump behind the tank and pretty low. Seems to work great now.

Went on another trip with some friends to the flats and had no issues and no rollovers.

After my first run at the W, I realized that this sami was too light for these tires on the slick clay hills, so I picked up a set of Q78-16 TSL's and 16x7 steel wheels. These tires have some deep tread on them and the skinnier tread width should help on the clay.

Unmounted Q78 next to a 37 BFG Krawler

I want to try the duct tape on the beads first, hoping three wraps hold the tires on. If not, I'm going to get some 24 bolt beadlock rings cut and convert these.

And yes, I am that kind of guy to cut up new tires.

Quote:
I don't care what you want to smoke, who you want to poke. I don't care what you want to shoot or how many bullets you can have.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up thier shit.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
The difference

Went back to the W and had a great day. It was dry, but I still had no problems and was a fun day.

I have a laundry list of things I want to do;
Push the rear bumper out about 4"
Add a stinger and extend the front frame a few inches
Add toob to the top of the windshield and around the rear fender line
New fuel tank with internal pump and a fill port on that's easily accessible
E-locker or arb/tjm in the rear
Light bar
Rock lights
Hilift mount
Auto trans and some kind of married t-case
IFS hubs and Tacoma brakes
Rebuild the hydro ram
Add a cooler to the hydro
Add inner fender skins
Move the air filter
Turbo?
Extend the sliders out from the body
Paint the bare metal so it doesn't rust away
Center console
Way down the road I will probably swap out the rear axle for a wider housing so I'm not running spacers
and there's more, but I can't really think of them right now.

One other mod I had my friend do in Washington was add a parking brake. I used Montero rotors and 98 Mustang rear calipers. He grabbed the handle back from a junk yard and modified the caliper brackets to mount the Mustang calipers. Works pretty good, but I need to adjust them to hold a little better. I'll get some pics later.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Suzuki/Toyota Parts

Member # 80948
Bump for the one of the coolest Zuks ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check us out on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on instagram:

#lowrangeoffroad @Lowrangeoffroad

YOUR Suzuki and Toyota Parts SUPER SHOP. Over 7800 Products and Counting.

We ship WORLDWIDE.

Why buy from Low Range Off Road?
We keep records of sales from the day you buy your product. Need a product warranty? Lost your receipt? Yep, we have it.
Low Range is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143

Went out Sunday, was a great day until the last hill we climbed. I hit a tree on the slight turn, and BOOM! Heard a pop and after tearing down the passenger kunckle I found this.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Any reason why you went with 16" tires/wheels instead of 15s?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
Any reason why you went with 16" tires/wheels instead of 15s?
Less sidewall to flex and I plan on running tacoma brakes in the future.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2017, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Whoah! Thanks so much for that photo comparison of the krawlers and Q78's. I've loved my 34x9.5 swampers for many years and finally upgraded to some sticky krawlers. I had in mind that the Q78's wouldn't be enough of an upgrade from my 34's, but I see now that I was quite wrong. Could have saved myself ALOT of cash (had to buy some 17" beadlocks). Anyhoo... will keep these in mind if the krawlers don't work out. My buggy is really light, too - ~2400lbs with the krawlers.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
shoes optional

Member # 142117
i was drooling over this rig when i saw it for sale...very cool man
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Started working on extending the rear bumper, one, to keep trees off the body and two, I'd like to mount a winch behind it in the future.

I picked up some tube end recovery points, cut some 2" .250 wall tubing and cut out some brackets.

I have some gussets and small tubing to add to it. After this I'll be working on straightening the front housing since I bent it hitting a tree.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewp View Post
i was drooling over this rig when i saw it for sale...very cool man
Thanks, it's a lot of fun. How have you been? I'm looking at moving to WA in a couple of years.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
shoes optional

Member # 142117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lc View Post
Thanks, it's a lot of fun. How have you been? I'm looking at moving to WA in a couple of years.
I should have a solid rig by then!!! keep me posted on the move as time gets close
Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Finally got this rear bumper finished. There's enough room to mount an ATV winch behind the bumper if I get to it in the future. Also mounted my CB antenna.

Once I get the coaxial run for the CB, I'll be tearing into the front axle to try and bend it back straight.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
I started tearing down the axle to get the knuckle balls straight again.

Had some of that Frank's goop in the knuckles.

The passenger side Longfield wouldn't come out because the housing was bent back and up too far, so after like six heat and quench cycles I was able to get the birfield out. A couple more and I was able to get the shaft out. The shaft was smashed against the seal and I couldn't pull it out.

I have another birfield so this one will become my spare.

As of right now I have the front to back bend almost worked out and the up bend is better. Hopefully it wont take too much more to straighten that side out. Not sure why, but the original owner never put knuckle gussets on this axle, which to me is the one thing you need.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Four heat and quench cycles and a wasted dead blow hammer later and I have a straight housing with gussets this time.

Now to put it all back together.

Quote:
Old 01-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 598602
When are you gonna stop wreckin things? Haha
OffroadAddictiontv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadAddictiontv View Post
When are you gonna stop wreckin things? Haha
Probably never. Haha!

Quote:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 598602
I like your theory... 10/10 would wheel with you haha!
OffroadAddictiontv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Got some tube on the front to deflect the trees and keep my winch away from getting smashed.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
neat sammy....

carslut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
neat sammy....
Thanks! I hope to get some good action shots soon.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 20490
Send a message via AIM to clemsonjeep
But...but...but...the drum isn't centered...lol

Good to see this rig being used!
Toy's cyro'd 5.29s ARB HP front
Elocker rear w/ cryo'd lock collar & side gears
Trunnion bearing eliminator
Longfields/chromo hub gears
4 link air shocks front / 4 link air shocks rear
39 BFG Reds
Raceline Monsters
clemsonjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 14678
Is there an advantage to running Washington plates in Hawaii?

I remember that rig in pictures from quite long ago IIRC. Cool to see a built rig getting used.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 813674
always been a full sizer...lol, you've got me thinking compact trail only rig now
familyguyk30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 468LC View Post
Is there an advantage to running Washington plates in Hawaii?

I remember that rig in pictures from quite long ago IIRC. Cool to see a built rig getting used.
One trail here you have to have a licensed and registered vehicle to access it and I highly doubt this sami could pass our inspections. Another reason is I'm trying to move to WA once I finish my apprenticeship, so I thought I would try to keep it registered there.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.