Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Polaris vs Can Am

So my co worker had a '09 RZR 800 and oil consumption and other issues made it undesirable to him. HE replaced with a Can Am, and was pleased. As his family grew he went to a Polaris 5 seater and broke a lot of parts, including axleshafts.

I am looking at options for tighter trails than my full size crawler (118" wb, 42"s,) I like the idea of the Trail models (50" wide) but would also consider the longer suspension travel units. 2 person so either a Rzr 900 EPS or Maverick Trail 1000 EPS.

Thoughts? The RZR is much shorter which gives options on hauling (and trails) however for $15-20k, I don't want a project. I was always liked my Polaris sleds, but a pull start carbed twin liquid cooled two stroke to a belt drive to a 136"+ track is pretty simple compared to a SXS.

Last edited by ramv; 12-28-2017 at 10:11 PM.
ramv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 176929
I have not really checked out the new mav trail, but that would probably get my vote. I've had a ranger and rzr for 4 years and my mav for 2. the popo's are easier to work on, but I think the quality is in the can am.
luckyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Any thoughts on the Textron Wildcat Trail? (formerly Artic Cat). Much lighter and little more compact than the Can Am.

Looked at all three this weekend, drove the Textron. Polaris seemed to be third in fit and finish.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 139627
Textron have anything 50 inch width?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 176929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramv View Post
Any thoughts on the Textron Wildcat Trail? (formerly Artic Cat). Much lighter and little more compact than the Can Am.

Looked at all three this weekend, drove the Textron. Polaris seemed to be third in fit and finish.
I would personally stay away from the cat. I'd go can am or popo way before the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
Textron have anything 50 inch width?
yes the trail model is 50".
luckyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11921
50" below

https://www.textronoffroad.com/side-.../wildcat-trail

I liked that it has a driver engaged front locker (versus the auto ones in the Can Am and Polaris). It doesn't unlock the rear though unlock the other two so I would imagine they are more maneuverable...

Fox shocks, but same travel as the others. I would imagine the brand isn't as important as the actual design/tuning of the shocks. Can Am dealer was big on their TTA suspension.

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side...trail-dps.html

Last edited by ramv; 01-01-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 139627
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyj View Post
I would personally stay away from the cat. I'd go can am or popo way before the cat.

yes the trail model is 50".
Quote:
50" below

https://www.textronoffroad.com/side-.../wildcat-trail

I liked that it has a driver engaged front locker (versus the auto ones in the Can Am and Polaris). It doesn't unlock the rear though unlock the other two so I would imagine they are more maneuverable...

Fox shocks, but same travel as the others. I would imagine the brand isn't as important as the actual design/tuning of the shocks. Can Am dealer was big on their TTA suspension.

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side...trail-dps.html
Thanks
Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 232221
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P5AXRQOsA

In the video they talk about how the Rzr does better than the Mav trail but then say they would pick the Mav over the Rzr

I haven't had any trouble with my 2016 Rzr 900 trail. I bought it totaled from Copart and it only took $1000 to fix. Thats the best part about Rzr's...there's so much aftermarket support and most parts are cheap.
siduramaxde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 126828
I would stay away from the arctic cat. A slow roll totaled mine, frame and cage both bent. After a year the whole suspension was shot, needed springs and shocks.

The aftermarket was also way behind can am and polaris.

I was not happy with the machine at all and went to a polaris, much happier now.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
50-inch UTVs

Can-Am Maverick Trail Review

Textron Wildcat Trail Review

The big thing you must remember about the 50-inch market is the intended purpose.* They are nimble vehicles that allow you to get on 50-inch trails.

If you don't have that restriction, I would go with a 60-inch model - RZR S or Wildcat Sport. Unfortunately, Can-Am does not really have a 60-inch model.

RZR S 900 Review

I raced a RZR S 900 at King of the Hammers in 2015 and got 3rd. Very nimble vehicle, but at 60-inch instead of 50-inch so it can handle rougher terrain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Crowdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Thanks! The trail network closest to my house is 50" only, and some of the other areas I have rode my dirtbike are 50" only as well. My plan is to start out with a 50" and if we decide we don't hit enough narrow trails, step up to one of the bigger models. Is there a downside to the bigger Maverick that are 64" wide? (XC?)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Quote:
Thanks! The trail network closest to my house is 50" only, and some of the other areas I have rode my dirtbike are 50" only as well. My plan is to start out with a 50" and if we decide we don't hit enough narrow trails, step up to one of the bigger models. Is there a downside to the bigger Maverick that are 64" wide? (XC?)
Well if you need a 50-inch, why are you looking at a 64-inch Maverick XC?

|
|
|
Crowdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowdog View Post
Well if you need a 50-inch, why are you looking at a 64-inch Maverick XC?
I guess need is a relative thing. I could just go to wider networks since by the house is pretty horrible most of the time since it's the closest network for the entire city of 4 mm+ people. I typically only ride there in bad weather or off days. (Or during a Bronco game when they were good.) It is nice to go out and blast around and be home in a few hours.

You had just said that Can Am doesn't really have a 60", so I was asking what the advantage to a 60" over a 64" would be? It doesn't seem like much difference and I haven't seen any 60" trail restrictions.

I like the versatility of the 50" but if they are just not fun, I can re-evaluate at this point and go wider. It just seem to make sense to have the maximum number of trails open give the trail traffic here.

Last edited by ramv; 01-14-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.