Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 790433
New 2nd Gen Xterra - gearing options

Hey everyone,

Moving over from the Suzuki side and just picked up a 2010 Xterra S manual with only 27,000KMs on it.

For now it's going to be a DD/do everything rig for me and my kidlet (e.g. not your typical Pirate build, just mild changes).

I'm having a bitch of a time finding info. on the 2nd gen (first gen info. is everywhere). At this point I was just looking for simple stuff like will Off-Road / Pro-4X model stuff bolt in (skidplates and locker), and what are lower gearing options - especially for the t-case.

Any ideas for the above (found information on the Titan swap, so should be good for wheel travel - no interest in an SAS - going to travel too much washboard.)

Any help or web links are greatly appreciated

David
sacrebleu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 182553
THERES NOT MANY OPTIONS FOR GEARS OUTSIDE OF EASTCOAST GEAR AND SUPPLY. THE NICHE FOR THESE HAVE KINDA DIED OFF SOMEWHAT. THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO THE STOCK CASE OUTSIDE OF YOU MAKING IT YOURSELF.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 790433
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratex View Post
THERES NOT MANY OPTIONS FOR GEARS OUTSIDE OF EASTCOAST GEAR AND SUPPLY. THE NICHE FOR THESE HAVE KINDA DIED OFF SOMEWHAT. THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO THE STOCK CASE OUTSIDE OF YOU MAKING IT YOURSELF.
Well... that just sucks... this thing cries for a lower crawl ratio... sigh.
sacrebleu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 183665
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrebleu2 View Post
Well... that just sucks... this thing cries for a lower crawl ratio... sigh.
Here are some options.

Give Steve a call, wealth of Nissan knowledge and get get you set up with just about anything. I ordered an Atlas from him and had it in my 2nd gen.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissa...1320_1347.html
paintsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 182553
yea you can always swap in an atlas
Old 11-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
TBD

Member # 194369
T-Case - Atlas or nothing

Diff Gears - There are options, but like everything OEM it gets goofy with year and model since there are different rear ends and different bolt counts on the pinion flanges. All that can be taken care of though.

Lockers - ARB, Lokka, OEM E-Locker but not in an Automatic S model. E-Locker is only for the M226.

Front Diff - The R180, despite what some will tell you, will snap half shafts (inside the diff) or just blow up entirely under mild abuse. I've stood there and watched it happen on slick mud. Luckily, you can swap in the M205 out of a 2005+ Titan and get a much stronger diff with bolt on half shafts (HD models for like $70 from RockAuto.) If you Titan Swap it, just spend the extra money and put the M205 in the front. It bolts in directly.

Suspension - Lots of options, Titan Swap is arguably the best but also the most expensive shy of an SAS. Nisstec and PRG have complete kits. I would recommend Nisstec. Dirt King and another joint I can't remember have high end race kits but the track width is increased 6" per side.

Also, x1000 for calling Rugged Rocks. Steve is great and is on this board and will get you setup with anything you would need.

'09 Nissan Frontier
Titan Swapped, 4.10's, ARB's F/R, 35's, bunch of other shit

Last edited by westracing01; 11-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.
westracing01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 810290
X2 on the Titan Swap.. Changes the gear ratio a little to 3.36. you can swap in Frontier gears to the rear C200k if you have an auto..
Steevo at Rugged Rocks also worked with ARB to get an Air Locker for the M205. I was in on the first 50 so that is an option.. I think the rear C200k and M226 versions were already and still available..
The Xterra is actually a great family vehicle that can also wheel.. Mine is gone but I do miss it..
TRAILGER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 93013
The manual trans will come with 3.69 gears. 3.36 Titan gears are the wrong way.

The stock gearing works really good with stock sized tires. How much are you willing to give up daily driving for off-road driving?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.