Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 176974
450X gearing for sand?

I have a 2012 Honda 450X and am making a trip to Glamis in January. Right now the bike is 100% stock and has stock gearing (13/51). I am going to buy a paddle tire that is the same size as stock (110/100/18). The person I bought the bike from said he had to get a smaller rear sprocket so he could move the rear back far enough for the paddle to clear. If that is the case, wouldn't it be better to go with a smaller front sprocket? That way it helps with low end at the same time as being able to move the rear tire back a little? A smaller rear sprocket gives more top end which is the opposite of what I want to do correct? If anyone else has any input I appreciate it.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 190921
I currently ride a 06 Yamaha 450F. I've ridden Glamis, Dumont and Superstition with a paddle without changing gearing. The issue with riding in sand is launching.... you need to get on top of the sand. The paddle will do that for you. Changing the gearing will affect the type of riding you do... hill runs, dune running, bowls etc.
For overall riding I would recommend running the paddle with the stock gearing then you decide what you need, if needed.

Not sure why the previous owner put a smaller sprocket on the rear for tire movement, I would of just bought a longer chain....

BTW I didn't need to replace anything to fit a paddle.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 176974
I would think if the paddle tire is the same size as stock I shouldn't have an issue. I will probably buy the paddle and see where I'm at with clearance and everything. A new front sprocket is like $15 compared to $60 for a chain so will prob just go that route if needed.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 189068
I never had any clearance issues with the skat trac hooker paddle on my cr5 my friend had clearance issues on his cr5 he was running a cheng shin ten paddle he now runs a skat trac also I don't remember which one tho.
zachwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 692041
I have a 2012 x too. Maybe it's just what I'm used too but I think they are undergeared stock. I'm usually running 14/48 unless I'm going on a super technical tight trail ride then I'll put the 13 tooth front on. My motor isn't completely stock but I think you'll be fine.
Oldnvyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 342298
OP.

Get a longer chain if you need to pull the axle that far back.

Run a 51 rear and bring a 13, 14 and 15 front. Swapping the fronts are very easy, and you will only need to adjust the axle posi minimally.

When possible run the biggest sprockets front and rear to get your correct ratio. Your chain and sprockets will last a lot longer with bigger sprockets than small ones, especially fronts.

Have fun holding it wide and get the hang of sitting back on the seat a bit. Soooo fun

Last edited by 3nuts; 01-13-2018 at 12:12 AM.
3nuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 176974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nuts View Post
OP.

Get a longer chain if you need to pull the axle that far back.

Run a 51 rear and bring a 13, 14 and 15 front. Swapping the fronts are very easy, and you will only need to adjust the axle posi minimally.

When possible run the biggest sprockets front and rear to get your correct ratio. Your chain and sprockets will last a lot longer with bigger sprockets than small ones, especially fronts.

Have fun holding it wide and get the hang of sitting back on the seat a bit. Soooo fun
Thanks for the info. I didn't end up taking the bike on the trip. I just rode shotgun in a turbo RZR so that was fun enough for me. I bought a 12 tooth front sprocket before I decided not to take the bike so I have that still. I figure if anything I can put that on and run it to see how it works. The bike is just about due for new drivetrain anyways so I will probably just stick with stock or maybe go one tooth up on the rear.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 176974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnvyota View Post
I have a 2012 x too. Maybe it's just what I'm used too but I think they are undergeared stock. I'm usually running 14/48 unless I'm going on a super technical tight trail ride then I'll put the 13 tooth front on. My motor isn't completely stock but I think you'll be fine.
I actually feel like they are geared too tall. Basically all I ride on is super technical single track. I want to gear it lower than stock, not higher. I have a 12t front sprocket that I will try with the stock rear to see how I like it. If I don't like that, I also have a 1 tooth smaller rear sprocket.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 342298
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchevy914x4 View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't end up taking the bike on the trip. I just rode shotgun in a turbo RZR so that was fun enough for me. I bought a 12 tooth front sprocket before I decided not to take the bike so I have that still. I figure if anything I can put that on and run it to see how it works. The bike is just about due for new drivetrain anyways so I will probably just stick with stock or maybe go one tooth up on the rear.
You're welcome

I'd be keen to boot around in a turbo RZR too. Don't blame you

Quote:
I actually feel like they are geared too tall. Basically all I ride on is super technical single track. I want to gear it lower than stock, not higher. I have a 12t front sprocket that I will try with the stock rear to see how I like it. If I don't like that, I also have a 1 tooth smaller rear sprocket.
I often ride super snotty tight, hilly, switchback single trail too. Trails that are often rough and loose with rocks, roots and ruts. Harder to walk up, than ride.

When we've made it to the top, the saying for guys stuck on the hill section below is, "IF I COME DOWN TO HELP, I'M RIDING YOUR BIKE UP, AND YOU'RE WALKING. OK?" Cos' no F'ing way I'm stumbling down, to climb back up

I use a 12/51 13/51 often.

Last edited by 3nuts; 01-16-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 176974
Quote:
You're welcome

I'd be keen to boot around in a turbo RZR too. Don't blame you

I often ride super snotty tight, hilly, switchback single trail too. Trails that are often rough and loose with rocks, roots and ruts. Harder to walk up, than ride.

When we've made it to the top, the saying for guys stuck on the hill section below is, "IF I COME DOWN TO HELP, I'M RIDING YOUR BIKE UP, AND YOU'RE WALKING. OK?" Cos' no F'ing way I'm stumbling down, to climb back up

I use a 12/51 13/51 often.
There are a lot of trails like that around here too. I love riding single track. I have only been doing it for about 9 months but can't get enough of it.

I am going to try 12/51 and see how I like it. I also have the 13t front sprocket and a 50t rear that I can mix it up a little with.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 342298
Thumbs up

Quote:
There are a lot of trails like that around here too. I love riding single track. I have only been doing it for about 9 months but can't get enough of it.

I am going to try 12/51 and see how I like it. I also have the 13t front sprocket and a 50t rear that I can mix it up a little with.
I remember being thrown in the deep end 25yrs ago.

Got invited to ride with a big group of veteran technical single trails riders.

With a very short time I was close to heaving my guts up, absolutely exhausted, battered, bruised, ego obliterated. I would have paid a thousand dollars for decent sharp edged tires on the spot

Bike got beat up, riding gear torn. There was blood

After that ride I was hooked

Every time we take out new riders, some even experienced riders but not tyese types of trails...and they're losing their shit, crashing their brains out, bikes steaming up, begging to go back to the cars...I laugh and remember when that was me.

Did you go through the same thing?

Last edited by 3nuts; 01-16-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 176974
Quote:
I remember being thrown in the deep end 25yrs ago.

Got invited to ride with a big group of veteran technical single trails riders.

With a very short time I was close to heaving my guts up, absolutely exhausted, battered, bruised, ego obliterated. I would have paid a thousand dollars for decent sharp edged tires on the spot

Bike got beat up, riding gear torn. There was blood

After that ride I was hooked

Every time we take out new riders, some even experienced riders but not tyese types of trails...and they're losing their shit, crashing their brains out, bikes steaming up, begging to go back to the cars...I laugh and remember when that was me.

Did you go through the same thing?
Not to that extreme but close. I only started riding dirt bikes when I bought this 450x back in April of 2017. It is the only dirt bike I have ridden for extended periods of time. I try to get out and ride as much as I can but life seems to get in the way. It definitely kicks my ass but I love it. I try to ride smart so I don't get hurt and have purchased a lot of gear to help with that. Have not had any real significant crashes yet thankfully (knocks on wood). I am definitely hooked as well though. Every time I ride dirt roads or fire roads I find myself getting bored quickly. Single track is where its at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.