Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #326 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Love the pic with the headlights. Can't wait to see that thing in the flesh again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #327 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thanks!

Just let me know when you'll be down this way again.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #328 (permalink)

Member # 54455
Nice job on the clean plumbing runs.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #329 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thank you. I've got a lot more plumbing to go with the brakes coming up next on my punch list.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #330 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflyoda View Post
Thanks!

Just let me know when you'll be down this way again.
Couldn't believe it, my wife came to me yesterday and said we need to go to Destin this weekend. I figured it must be fate. But now I see it's sappose to rain all week, so we probably won't go. But at least it's in her mind. I'll let you know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #331 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
haha, thats too funny! I agree, at least you know its in her mind.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #332 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Long over due update:

First off, I hope everyone had a great break over the holidays.

Sadly, i haven't made as much progress lately as i would have liked due to work, fixing the little yota, selling the dually and trailer, and finding, buying, and working on the toterhome. I did manage to sneak a little time here and there to tinker with the crawler and get a few things done.

To start, DD yota

I've had do a little bit of work to it to get it ready to be my DD. I've had to replace the starter, the battery, replace upper intake gaskets and troubleshoot/track down the vacuum leak as well as track down a couple electrical issues with the engine harness. Those issues left me on the side of the road while driving it due to blowing the EFI fuse. The engine harness is not in great shape to say the least but i think I've got it taken care off enough to DD. Well, at least well enough to drive till the motor gets swapped out. I also picked up a complete running '96 Tacoma for a donor truck to put the 2RZ and 5 spd from it into my yota since my trans is horrible to drive. With it in gear, i can literally move the shifter around in about a 4" diameter circle. I've replaced the bushings and cup but the cup that goes onto the ball of the shifter keeps falling off into the trans since the shift rail is so worn out. Once i had most of the quirks worked out of it (at least enough to trust it getting me back and forth to work), i sold my '14 Ram and this became the DD. Once the dually was gone, i was able to start looking for a toterhome.

Toterhome

I was excited to have found one in my price range and was able to pick it up. I did have to drive 12 hrs to get it in Dayton, OH. I've already gone on a few road trips with it (No Mercy 8, Orlando, Bristol, and a local off road park) and am continuing to work out any bugs that it may have. Its a 2005 Freightliner Business class M2 with a HaulMark conversion and it sat a good bit before i bought it. It used to be a garage model but the garage has since been converted into a maser bedroom which is great. I wouldn't have been able to fit my rig in the garage anyhow...too wide. Since it has sat for so long, I've had to do a lot of maintenance to it to get it running right. The biggest issue that I've had was algae in the fuel tanks. This has caused some issues with it stuttering while driving and getting poor fuel mileage. I think I've got that issue taken care of now. Since this toter can't pull a goosenectk, i sold my old trailer and I picked up a 33' bumper pull 2 car hauler so that i can still haul 2 rigs when we go to off road parks. My hopes/plans is to hit Moab up this year in the fall possibly.

Now back to the important part...the crawler

Since my last update, I marked the spots along the dash bar then removed it. I then drilled and riveted some tabs to secure the wiring too. This way any wiring that goes to the engine/heater, I'll run along that and out the firewall to the engine.

I then started working on the bracket to mount the front power steering reservoir. Now that i'm at this phase of the build, i realized something else...i should have gone ahead and planned for the power steering reservoir bracket...but since i didn't, i have to paint everything with a brush after the fact so it doesn't look as nice as the rest of the paint. Oh well, trivial things that won't matter once i start wheeling the rig.

Here is what it looks like with the reservoir installed. In the picture, you can see the heat shielding that i put around the heater hose going to the vaporizer that i missed in a previous update.

I also plumbed the power steering lines fully and started bleeding the steering as best i could without the assistance of a running engine. I just relied on the fluid to fill the system through the low pressure side of the system. I was able to get the wheels to turn full lock to lock though. I just put the front end on some jack stands.

Next, i built the bracket and mounted the rear brake reservoir and then plumed it to the master cylinder with the hose adapter. Since this picture, I've ran brake lines to the 2lb residual valves and for the rear, to the brake proportioning valve. I need to pick up some bulkhead fittings to pass the brake lines into the cab to then route to the manual line lock, cutting brakes, then out the back of the cab to the axle. Due to the heat from the exhaust, I'm going to do the same for the clutch hydraulic line. I'm going to run that in the cab, along the firewall then out the firewall on the passenger side for the slave cylinder.

Next I started installing the shifters and locker levers. Seeing them in the cab is a great feeling. I want to locate another shifter boot for the trans/reduction box, once i have that, I'll install that as well.

Nothing special here, but i had to find a location for the horns. Not usually a big deal, but with how little space i have available, i didn't have many options. I did still want to have horns on the truck since it will see some street time and they do home in handy from time to time. I'm debating whether or not to leave them red or to pull the covers off and paint them black or orange. Any thoughts?

I started to work on the skid plate for the truck. This is what it was going to say but after i painted it, and pulled the stickers off to reveal the white lettering, i didn't like how the lettering looked so i just painted it all black. I may get a sticker in a bright color that has the same lettering so that you can see if when i flop the rig.

I made a bracket for the coil to mount to so that i could keep the coil wire as short as possible.

Last edited by nwflyoda; 01-06-2018 at 09:14 PM.
nwflyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #333 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
One item that had me frustrated was how to connect the heater core, to the -10 AN bulkhead fittings on the firewall. With the help of a buddy with access to a mandrel bender, we were able to bend up these lines to make the connection. I also took the heater fittings that came with the heater core, cut and welded a bung onto them. I pressured tested the coolant system for leaks ahead of time and fixed the couple leaks that it had. Finally filled the system with water/anti freeze mix. So, now the coolant system is done!

With the heater plumbed, i knew i will have some issues with the glove box. So to find out exactly how much I'll have to cut the box, i installed the lower dash and glove box.

This picture shows how far the heater piping passes into the glove box. Now, I'll just need to build a sheet metal box to seal off the glove box so that it'll be usable again.

I'm going to wait on finishing up the glove box and lower dash piece so that i can have access to the firewall to install the brake lines and some of the wiring.

The fun part that i started next was the exhaust. The plan is to bring the exhaust straight out the hood. This required a lot of pie cuts. Once it was all said and done, i had it ceramic coated to help hold the heat in. This is really important with how close the exhaust comes to the firewall. There is less than 1/2" between the exhaust and the firewall. Here are a few photos of the exhaust being built as well as the final product after it was coated. This shows how close the tubing comes to the firewall.

This is how the exhaust exits the hood. Since this picture, I've adjusted the waste gate piping to be more centered in the hole so don't mind that. I will be building a carbon fiber trim ring to accent the exhaust, sort of like you see on some drag cars. This kinda pays homage to my drag racing days. haha

And now the final product...just not installed yet.

I actually may end up trimming the holes in the hood to allow for more room. The truck has poly engine/tcase mounts so it shouldn't move move, but the hood will also move a little as well and i think it may need a little more room to clear. I may look into this more once the truck is done and i see just how much everything moves.

I have a good buddy that does hydro dipping and carbon fiber work. To have some need parts built plus to show some support for his business, he built me some orange carbon fiber door panels. They look a little darker/more red after the resin cured but in the sun light, they look great! I will also have a carbon fiber back drop for the gauges and switch panel on the dash.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #334 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Speaking of gauges, i installed the gauge pod back into the truck and wired the gauges up.

I started working on the turbo piping. My initial plan was to use stainless and have my buddy tig it up for me. But after i got the different pieces of stainless here, i realized that the one stick of stainless wasn't the high quality material and the other was. It would be too much of a difference in color between the two, so instead, I'll send them off to get powder coated orange. I haven't finished the turbo inlet piping just yet (currently working on that now), but here is the hot pipe tacked together awaiting time to get tig'd. I'll add some bungs to the piping as well for the propane prime as well as future use. In case i decide to spray water/meth into the system.

Granted, i didn't need to install them right now, i was too impatient and just couldn't resist seeing the truck with the fenders installed. I did almost regret installing them already due to me doing exactly what i knew would happen...I'd bump into them with tools. But i will resist the urge to install the doors at this time. Even as bad as i want to see the truck all done, i have far too much work left to do to have to work around the doors.

I know i have more things at work that'll pull me away plus some house projects and life in general...i hope to have the rig finished in the next few months.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #335 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Good to see the update. I like everything except maybe the exhaust. Not sure if it will be too loud. Turbo should knock it down some. Also kind of Worried about water getting in there. Maybe no issue. It does look good.

I was down your way for the New Years. But I had no time to visit. Froze my ass off on the eve.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #336 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
I don't think the exhaust will be that much louder. While this is comparing diesels to gas engines, in the diesel world, those that ran hood stacks on their trucks said the exhaust was actually quieter in the cab than when you had a stack behind the cab. The drone was worse with a bed stack. Also, when i first built the turbo engine and put it in the truck, all i had for exhaust was about 7" of down pipe going straight down. While that was still under the hood, i never loved the sound of the truck as much as i did when i had that exhaust setup. You could hear the turbine whistle so much more and it just sounded plan nasty when the boost came on.

I was a little concerned about the water as well. For when its parked outside at an off road park, i plan to build a cap of sorts to cover the exhaust to keep the rain from entering. When the engine is running, it shouldn't have a change to get any water in...well, except for the waste gate portion. At home, she is kept in the garage.

Hopefully you enjoyed the New Years here besides the freezing part. I was in bed by 11 on New Years Eve. haha
Old 01-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #337 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Oh yea, my vote on the horns is orange or black. And nice score on the toter.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #338 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thanks. I'm torn between orange and black but leaning towards orange. I need to redo those horn brackets, and when i do, I'll go ahead and pull the covers off and paint them. But that may have to wait till it warms up a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.