Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 15585
Send a message via AIM to tribal4krawler
Recommendations on what races to spectate at?

So I've been involved in many different forms of racing over the last decade or two, and one I've always wanted to watch was desert racing. Living in Houston hasn't really been very conducive for watching desert racing live. I know there's not very many races but I've talked about it with the fiance and she's down for trying to catch a race or two next year. We definitely want to go to KOH, but am also looking for a US based race that we can attend. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5632
Ultra 4 nationals in Reno, October 20th.
Off Track Motorsports #4580. KOH EMC 2017 Top 10 Finisher.
Avanteone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 782177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
So I've been involved in many different forms of racing over the last decade or two, and one I've always wanted to watch was desert racing. Living in Houston hasn't really been very conducive for watching desert racing live. I know there's not very many races but I've talked about it with the fiance and she's down for trying to catch a race or two next year. We definitely want to go to KOH, but am also looking for a US based race that we can attend. Any suggestions? Thanks
KOH is in the US. It's some great spectating, I've been crewing for Broadsword Racing 4503 for the last 4 years. There's always good stuff going on.

If you can get to Baja, even just for the start, it's amazing. Went down and chased for team in 2012, one of the best times ever.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find us on FB @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On Point Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 223473
The Mint 400 is the best balance between easy, cheap, and fun. It's in Vegas in March, so the weather is nice. The best part is it's several days of fun. Wednesday is the parade down the strip, Thursday is qualifying, Friday is my favorite, tech and contingency, where Freemont street is closed down to traffic and filled with off-road cars and vendors. Saturday is the race, and there's several good spots to watch the action. And being a lap race, there is action to watch all day, not just watching the cars pass once and going home.
Dave In Florida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8402
It doesn't get much better than the Mint and KOH. Both have multi day activities.

Mint is great because of the Vegas experience and you can spend an entire day on Fremont street for their tech day. As far as viewing the race, they have designated pit areas and designated viewing area so you can't just drive around near the course and watch, but you can get to those locations in a FWD car. Another plus for us east coast guys is the airport is close and rental car is cheap.

KOH gives you the freedom to go find your favorite go fast area, or canyon area and spend a few hours there and then move on. KOH is also great because its a week long event coupled with wheeling on your own. But if you are flying in, its a bit of a hike to Johnson Valley from LA or wherever, then there is no local lodging so you are either renting an RV, tenting, or driving into the city to pay too much for a hotel. Once you are there, its a pain to get to the best places to watch it you have a cheap rental car.
Inviscid Motorsports #9009
Thanks to; Ironman Offroad - Motorcity Machines - Branik Motorsports

Last edited by michigander; 08-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15585
Send a message via AIM to tribal4krawler
Thanks for the advice fellas! I'll definitely have to look up the Mint. I guess I worded that wrong, I'd meant to say that we're planning on attending at KOH (which i've said every year since it first started and still have yet to actually go) and wanted a recommendation on another desert race in the US. The Mint sounds like a good one to check out. I'd really like to hook up with a race team and be able to help out, but I imagine that there probably aren't very many Houston based teams that need any help.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8402
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
Thanks for the advice fellas! I'll definitely have to look up the Mint. I guess I worded that wrong, I'd meant to say that we're planning on attending at KOH (which i've said every year since it first started and still have yet to actually go) and wanted a recommendation on another desert race in the US. The Mint sounds like a good one to check out. I'd really like to hook up with a race team and be able to help out, but I imagine that there probably aren't very many Houston based teams that need any help.
not sure of your background/skillset, but if you end up going to a specific race, get a hold of baja pits well in advance and explain you would like to help with some grunt work if they need it. They are awesome people.
Inviscid Motorsports #9009
Thanks to; Ironman Offroad - Motorcity Machines - Branik Motorsports
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39826
Mint and battle at primm are both cool vegas area races to check out. Baja qualifying is fun too if you happen to be at sema.
Ak_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 589857
The Parker 425 has good spectating too. Both from Shae Rd and the Python infield
Mscatena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 03:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 170750
As has been stated already Baja Pits or find a team to volunteer for if you can. A lot of the Sportsman class guys could always use the help.

Volunteering for the race organizer is good too, I have worked at many BITD races and they always need help.

Parker 425 can be cold as balls!
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.